To me, there is a big difference between a resolution and a goal. In my mind, a resolution implies that something needs changing, like a bad habit that needs breaking. A goal, on the other hand, aspires to be something greater. I’m a believer that if you put something in writing it serves as a reminder, holds you more accountable, and is an investment in others being able to support you along the way.
So here are some of my 2011 goals and resolutions.
1. A1C <= 6.2. Less would be good.
2. Run (not walk) a 5K.
3. Start cycling with a group again, and get back into organized & scheduled rides.
4. Like everybody else on the planet, drop a few pounds. Goal weight: A stable 165 lbs.
5. Pay off at least two debts.
6. Have an adventure…regularly. Take pictures.
1. Wear my CGMS 24/7/365, and stop taking 2-3 day breaks in between sensor changes. (I could have titled this one “Stop being stupid Martin” but I felt I should be more specific.)
2. Realize that it’s okay (and encouraged!) to spend money on diabetes supplies before other bills.
3. Go to the ophthalmologist and dentist at least once this year.
4. Find excuses to exercise, instead of excuses not to.
5. Remember that any day can be a “No D-Day” if you want it to be.