Today is an important day in Martin World. A day that I look back and reflect on some of my accomplishments.
1. I passed Chemistry in high school. It was the hardest class for me. Tutoring helped. The tutor had a cute daughter. Those last two statements are mostly unrelated.
2. I graduated. Four times. Because once just wasn’t enough. (HS, AA, BS, MS…in case you were wondering.)
3. I was a DJ. On a Christian music radio station. Yeah, I don’t believe that either. But it’s true.
4. I found love. And lost it. And found it. And lost it. And found it again. I’m like a country song.
5. I’ve changed the world. Sort of. I stepped on an ant hill. “World” is relative.
6. I’ve been a President. It’s a lot harder than it looks.
7. I rode my bicycle over 100 miles in one day. Most people have enough sense not to do that.
8. I had dinner with Olivia Wilde. Kind of. She was two tables away from me. I’m still counting it. Can we be friends?
9. I was fired once. They called it a “lay off” because of the recession. Lipstick on a pig.
10. I’ve worked in two libraries so far in my career. I’ve been the token male in both. I’m like a trophy librarian.
11. I’ve been an Apple, an Android, and a PC. I prefer being an Apple.
12. I was voted Most Intelligent in middle school. It was nerdy at the time. Now it’s dead sexy.
13. I grew up on a farm. I delivered a calf. I about had a cow.
14. I had a dog named BJ when I was a kid. I lived on Fifth Street. I’m usually on top of that “What would be your name?” game.
15. I write with Sharpies. People with dry erase boards hate me when I get excited about flowcharts and to-do lists.
16. I worked in a 1-hour photo lab. I got paid to stick my nose in everybody else’s business.
17. I am Jack’s complete lack of surprise. According to the first rule, I can’t talk about this. I do love the movie though.
18. I wear a Mickey Mouse watch. It reminds me that great things start with small ideas.
19. I have jumped out of a perfectly good airplane.
20. I have a tattoo. I’d like to get another one. I just don’t know what yet.
21. I love video games. They are a way that I escape and decompress. I also want my own personal Navi, like in Zelda.
22. I always have more to do than I have time for. In related news, sleep is a nuisance.
23. I like to explore a new city on foot or bike. You see things that you didn’t realize were there. Like celebrities.
24. I love New York, DC, and Seattle.
25. I’ve tried escargot (snails). It’s not my thing.
26. I speak a little bit of Russian. I would like to learn how to speak Spanish. English would also be helpful, some days.
27. I can’t speak in coherent sentences before coffee in the morning.
28. I’ve read every book by Terry Goodkind, Barbara Kingsolver, Tobias Buckell, and John Steinbeck.
29. I have pets that are some of my favorite people. Two dogs and a cat. All spoiled rotten.
30. I have moved nine times in my life so far. Books are very heavy. Save your back, buy an e-reader. And get a library card for Pete’s sake.
31. I gravitate toward leadership roles. Which probably explains why my to-do list is so long.
32. Today is my 32nd diaversary. 32 years with Type 1 Diabetes. Making it this long is nothing short of a big deal. But, as you can see, there is a lot more to me than just diabetes.
Wow, very insightful… you sure have accomplished and experienced a lot in your life!
You were diagnosed ten days before me. Comparing your list to mine, it looks like I’ve got a lot of catching up to do, and not much time to do it!
Happy Diabetes Anniversary! Once you go Apple, you never go back. BTW, I need to get me a library card!